1. Arthritis literally means ‘joint inflammation
2. As many as 1.5 million South Africans could be living with arthritis
3. There are over 100 different forms of arthritis
4. Arthritis is more common in women (24.9%) than men (18.1%)
5. Osteoarthritis is the most common form of arthritis
6. 94% of hip and 97% of knee replacements carried out in the UK are due to osteoarthritis.
7. Up to 40% of working people with RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis) lose their jobs within 5 years.
DO I NEED TO SEE A DOCTOR?
If you have swelling or stiffness that you can’t explain and that won’t go away in a few days, or if it becomes painful to touch your joints, you should see a doctor.