1. The outbreak started in June 2017.
2. To date 180 people have died and over 900 people have received medical care after being infected.
3. The current mortality rate is around 27 percent.
4. The current Listeriosis outbreak is the largest ever in South Africa, according to the National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD).
5. Cooking kills the listeria monocytogenes bacterium.
6. People with impaired immune systems, the elderly, pregnant women and infants are most prone to infection.
If these facts are helpful, please share with family and friends
info by iol/ img by guardian